Sunday, May 3, 2009

Learning to Love the Last 10?

My new issue of Shape magazine gave me a bunch of blogging ideas, and I hope they don't mind my "discussions" based on their hard work.

This month, the article that caught my eye was entitled "Finding My Happy Weight" by Colleen Tull. In it, a bride described how she had been on a diet rollercoaster for years, but was thoroughly happy being in her size 8 wedding dress instead of a smaller one because she had learned to love those "last 10 pounds".

Let's be honest. Whether it's 10, 20 or 50 pounds, most of us have a little bit of weight we just can't seem to get rid of. Take me, for example. I've been fluctuating between being 5 - 10 pounds away from my goal for months now. I haven't been totally committed to losing the weight, or else I would've been there by now, right?

But, what if I accepted myself for the way I was right now? What if I just stopped worrying so much about how I look and just lived life while remembering to take care of myself along the way? Would that make an impact on my daily outlook? Instead of being so concerned about how others viewed me, can't I just love myself for who I am rather than what size I am in my jeans?

If I stopped obsessing over the numbers, would I be happy? I'm not sure. I'm not sure I can change my whole way of thinking. I've been battling weight issues since 2000. Up, down, up, down, down, way down, and up again. Somehow, I taught myself that my looks were the only thing I had to offer, so I'm unsure how to accept myself as 10 pounds heavier than I want, with a flabby baby belly and cellulite. I don't even know how to do that.

I think maybe the journey to acceptance would take longer than the journey of losing the last of the weight.

So, how about you? Can you learn to love your "last 10"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In an ideal world we would all love ourselves no matter what, but reality isn't always as ideal....however, you have worked your butt off (literally and figuratively!) and you should be loving yourself, whether you are 5 pounds away, or 50! I'm proud of you!!

oh and ps.

You have MUCH more to offer than your looks! They are just the icing on a wonderful, lovable, awesome, kind, funny, amazing cake!