Friday, March 2, 2012

My Past Week

It's hard to put into words how difficult this past week has been for my emotions, my heart and my body.  I haven't had the time or the energy to even sit down and blog until now, and actually, I didn't feel much like sharing until now.

Let's just say the last week consisted of a 48 hour stomach bug that started Saturday evening, and landed me in bed all day Sunday.  Monday I woke up to the news that there was a school shooting that took place about an hour from our home, taking the lives of 3 students.  The news was nonstop all day and it was all I could do to tear myself away from it just to keep from breaking down.

On Wednesday morning, I woke up to my Facebook feed telling me about the previous evening's Coast Guard helicopter crash down in Mobile, where we just moved from.  Because of our time there, I have so many friends in the air community and my heart was in my stomach as I tried to learn who could have been on the helicopter.  My husband flew in the helos on several different occasions, the most notable being when he was a part of the Deepwater Horizon explosion rescue mission in April 2010.  And, as it turns out, because of his being so active on base in Mobile, he knew two of the four Coasties on board the helicopter.  We knew there was one death immediately after the crash, and as they searched for the remaining occupants, we tried to keep hope that they were found alive.  This morning, I learned that they recovered two of the three remaining bodies, and are searching for only one more. 

My heart is so heavy, and because I haven't felt right all week, I haven't even exercised.  I tried to stay on track with my eating, and even switched my weigh in day to Mondays with my husband {he didn't like Thursdays}.  I just want to sit on the couch and cuddle my kids, and snuggle close to my husband at night...and so I did. 

Hug and kiss the people you love.  No one has guaranteed time on this earth, so take a moment each and every day to let them know what they mean to you.  I promise it never gets old to hear it. 

No comments: