Sunday, January 22, 2012

Free Fun & A Workout

I have made no bones about the fact that I disliked living in Southern Alabama for 3.5 years.  The only good things that came from my time there were my best friends, and the fact that I learned that I absolutely need to live where there are four seasons in order to feel like a human being.

So, suffice it to say that I am loving winter up here in the North.  Although, if I'm going to be perfectly honest, this winter is the wackiest the locals have seen in forever, with 40-50 degree temps and only three snows to speak of since mid-December.  I LOVE the snow.  I think it's beautiful to watch when it falls, I think it's fun to traipse around and play in with my little people, and I don't even mind shoveling.

Today, we took our kids sledding -- twice.  Huge, gigantic, long hills that I screamed like a little girl going down.  I also pulled my 32 pound daughter up the steep part of the hill almost every time we came back up for more.  I thought for sure we had to be burning SOME kind of calories, though, I wasn't sure how much. 

Imagine my surprise when I found out that 90 minutes of sledding equals 16 activity points for me!  And it was 21 for my husband!  And, best of all, it didn't cost us a single cent. 

Here I was, afraid of how to keep my kids occupied all winter long when the answer is right out my front door.  Plus, it keeps me moving, too.  What could be better!

No comments: